Evy Poumpouras, a former Special Agent for the U.S. Secret Service, is an expert on interview and investigative techniques. Her resumé includes presidential protective details for President Barack Obama, First Lady Michelle Obama, President George W. Bush and President George H. Bush; she also serves as an on-air expert for CNN, NBC, CBS and FOX. With numerous investigations into financial crimes and fraud investigations, Evy recently presented at the WINS Summit by the Negotiation Institute the techniques she’s used to negotiate and get information during her investigations.
1. Get what you want from people by phrasing your words in a positive manner.
• Be direct yet positive when starting the conversation.
2. Your feelings, beliefs and ego should never dictate the direction of the conversation.
• Believe in your message and deliver it from the heart.
• Make it impersonal: if you are upset with a situation focus on the situation not the person.
4. Listen. People will give a significant amount of information if you simply listen to them.
• Conceal any aggressive intentions or behaviors you may have.
• Know the vulnerabilities of the other person to decide which tactics can be most effective.