Beauty saw great things in 2015. According to The NPD Group, not only did makeup drive sales during the year, but a number of trends emerged as well. Here, some highlights:
• Prestige Beauty was up across the globe: In North America, Prestige Beauty grew 8 percent, with Skin Care up 3 percent; Makeup soaring 14 percent and Fragrance growing 4 percent. In Europe, Prestige Beauty grew 3 percent, with Skin Care up 2 percent, Makeup up 8 percent and Fragrance up 1 percent.
• Lip was the biggest winner in Mass Makeup with sales up nearly 10 percent, followed by Face and Eye. Sales of Nail and gift sets were down.
• Gift sets were the biggest winners in Mass Skin Care, up 15% while Body grew 3%.
• Prestige Beauty sales grew 26 percent online, with Skin Care comprising 41 percent of sales, Makeup 39 percent and Fragrance 20 percent.
• In 2015, three out of every four dollars gained in prestige beauty was from makeup.
• Some of the top performers in Skin Care included: Masks +58 percent, Lip Treatment +27 percent, Toners/Clarifiers + 5 percent -Some of the top performing formats included: Clay +34 percent, Oil +31 percent; Paper +14 percent.